Friday, January 11, 2013

My Money is Looking Funny...

Everyday is a bank acount, and time is our currency. No one is rich, no one is poor, we've got 24 hours each. -- Christopher Rice



 I like to think I’m a person of faith. For years I have received encouragement from faith scriptures, such as “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” (Hebrews 11:1 NIV)  “We live by faith, not by sight.” (2 Corinthians 5:7NIV)

Right now, it is imperative that my faith rest in my Lord, on the hope that my finances are subject to change and improve.

Only 3 years ago, I earned a fat salary, held a Christmas club account and purchased what I wanted – within reason – regularly. Now, I would venture to say that my account has not seen such low numbers since my college days more than 20 years ago.

I’d like to clarify that this blog is for the unemployed, but also the underemployed. I work 2 part-time jobs, and continue to search for a full-time gig with benefits.

In this country, we’re taught that furthering our education is the key to a better future. I spent four years working full-time and schlepping in graduate school. It was such an amazing accomplishment to graduate with honors last spring.

Call me naïve, but I really thought once I had this advanced degree, all would be right in my underemployed world: The job offers would come rolling in. I’d bounce back, replenish the dwindling savings, it’s all good.

But alas, it’s January 2013, and let’s assess: My 401(k) is wiped out. We’ve dipped into our sons’ college funds just to meet regular bills. No Christmas club funds.

It might sound bleak, but all is not lost. Yes, this situation is out of my comfort level. But my hope is in my Lord.

I heard this week that for every 100 reasons to cry, there are 1,000 blessings, or reasons to smile.

Let’s assess: My family is intact. The doctors years ago gave my husband a bleak diagnosis, but he’s got a resolve of steel. The Lord’s healing is upon each member of our family. We are still in our home (our mortgage company is working with us, HALLELUJAH). An anonymous donor(s) is assisting my children with school tuition. (Lord, thank You for their sweet generosity.) We have gas in our vehicles. We have heat, electricity, food (my hips can attest to the latter!). I could go on and on.

I believe in giving tithes and offerings. It is this action, I believe, that is helping to give me peace. The Bible instructs us to give toward the Lord’s house and the things of Him, then encourages us to watch how the Lord will “pour out a blessing that we won’t have room enough for.” (Malachi 3:8-12 KJV)

Bottom line: God is GOOD, ALL THE TIME. Who am I to question this time in my life, this possible test, this for sure challenge? Trust in the Lord, the Bible says, with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding. It also explains that God’s ways are higher than our ways. He has not brought us this far to leave us. I cling to the hope that things will look up because I am His child. He knows how much I can bear, and His timing is perfect.

Until then, my unemployed/underemployed friends, we will strive to keep our heads up.

 Affirming scripture: “But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19 KJV)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Rejection

B ut thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter of mine head. Psalm 3:3 Deflated. Disappointed. I thought the job was m...