Tuesday, January 8, 2013

There's a job out there for me...right?




I can relate to this guy.

It's not that he isn't looking -- his eyes are likely weary. We job hunters, job seekers, potential employees well know the feeling because most jobs require you to use a computer. That's understandable, but when you spend hours looking for postings, writing cover letters and submitting information, the eye strain can be a bit much.

I was downsized in December 2010  from a 16-year professional writing career. Since then, I've been working part-time as college instructor (that's a whole OTHER blog that's in the works) and am now underemployed. Been looking for a job for months now, with little to no results.  Sometimes I wonder if a full time gig with benefits is an elusive dream.

I have no hard feelings about the downsizing, because I had wanted to leave for quite some time. I knew and am still holding out hope that something better is on the horizon.

I pray about this subject. A LOT. When I first started my job search, my prayer included these words: "Lord, if a job is not meant for me, if it is not good for me or my family, don't let me get it. Don't allow that door to open."

Now when I pray, I feel like saying, "Wow, Lord, really? Of all the jobs I've applied for, none of them are appropriate?"

I feel that my faith is being tested. I've had some down moments with many tears. Please bear with me as I attempt in this space to vent, and try to encourage some of you who are having similar experiences with your employment situation (or lack thereof).

My purpose in this space is to share my challenges, but also to remember to focus on the positive. After all, the positive is what propels us to continue to search for that job.

Even though I am out of my comfort zone right now in this season of underemployment, I am clinging to hope. I trust God. I believe God. He is the Alpha and the Omega. He knows our end from our beginning. He knows every hair on our heads (Matthew 10:30). He cares for us, He wants good things for us (Matthew 7:10). He just wants us to believe Him and serve Him, to seek Him and His word. Relationship.

Be encouraged, and know that as I write to you, I am writing to myself. As I strive to encourage you, I am endeavoring to keep myself encouraged.

I wanted to start this blog months ago. Today, I stepped out in faith. I look forward to the day when I can share that the Lord has blessed me with the job that He has for me. He gets all the glory.

"Lord, there are so many hurting people in this world. There are people with skills, talents and gifts who want  to put them to use. We ask for Your help. We know that You are well able to help us, because Your word says that You are able to do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we may ask or think (Ephesians 3:20). We don't want to spin our wheels or waste time, so please show us where to look for jobs. Put people in our paths who may assist us. Encourage our hearts today, this moment. I have seen so many friends around me get blessed with jobs. What you have done for them, I know you can do for me and all those who are reading this blog. It is done. Thank You for the victory! We love You. In Jesus' name, Amen."

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! There are a great many people who can relate. I'm hoping this will be a positive outlet. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing these thoughts in your blog.
    Despite discouragement in the situation, there are echoes of hope throughout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Terry! Do you recall we met at Maranatha a few years ago? By the way, you are doing a bang-up job covering music for Mlive. Keep it up!

      Delete

Rejection

B ut thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter of mine head. Psalm 3:3 Deflated. Disappointed. I thought the job was m...